Neurologia.com es una comunidad de conocimiento alrededor de la neurología en habla hispana, compuesta por millones de profesionales, desde estudiantes a instituciones médicas o académicas. Esta comunidad se dota de diferentes herramientas de interrelación y difusión del conocimiento en neurociencia
Epidemiological characteristics of a group of multi-organ donors used to transplant organs in Cuba
INTRODUCTION. For current transplants, the organ donor is a basic factor. OBJECTIVES. To determine the demographic characteristics of the donors used in the Cuban liver transplant programme, the main causes of brain death, most widely used amines and serology pattern. To report the transplants carried out.
PATIENTS AND METHODS. We reviewed the clinical histories of the actual donors processed between July 1999 and July 2000.
RESULTS. During the period studied 13 actual donors were used: 9 men (69.2%) and 4 women (30.8%) distributed in the following age groups: 15-30 years: 3 cases (23%); 31-45 years : 4 cases (30.8%); 46-60 years: 5 cases (38.5%), and over 60 years: 1 case (7.7%). We did 42 transplants: 12 liver, including the first hepato-renal in Cuba, 18 kidney, 10 cornea, and 1 heart. The causes of death were: head injury: 10 (76.9%), and hemorrhagic cerebral vascular accident: 3 (23.1%). Only 3 cases (23.1%) did not require the use of vasoactive amines. These were used in the other 10 (76.9%). The most commonly used were dopamine and epinephrine, in 6 cases each (46.1%). In the serological studies for immunoglobulin G for cytomegalovirus all 13 were positive, Epstein Barr virus 6 (46.1%), toxoplasma 12 (92.3%), herpes virus 1: 13, herpes virus 11: 13.
CONCLUSIONS. The typical donor was a man aged 46-60 years with brain death due to head injury following a road traffic accident. A large proportion of donors required the use of amines to maintain hemodynamic stability. There was a large proportion of patients who were found on microbiological serology studies to test positive.
Brain deathDonorsLiver transplantAlteraciones de la conciencia